Inspired2Become (I2B) is a registered non-profit organisation that does youth development through sport.
To inspire young people to reach their full potential.
To focus on 2 specific groups of young people who gets over-looked many times and to inspire them, through positive role modeling, relationship building, coaching, mentoring life skills and creating opportunities.
I2B was founded in 2010 by two brothers:
Chris van der Merwe & Fanie van der Merwe
They were raised in a small town called Virginia in the Free State. Chris matriculated in 2002 and Fanie in 2004 at Hentie Cilliërs High School. They both excelled in sport and become great athletes.
Chris van der Merwe:
- Received a BCom Communication Management Degree at University of Pretoria in 2005.
- Did a Copywriting post-grad diploma at AAA School of Advertising in 2006.
- Qualified as an international professional rollerblader in 2008 at the Amateur World Champs in USA.
- Competed in the Korean World Leisure Games in 2010 and placed 10th.
- Competed at the Asian X-Games in 2008-2012. In 2012 Chris placed 6th.
Fanie van der Merwe:
-Received a BA Sport Science Degree at the University of Stellenbosch in 2009
-Has a level 2 ASA sprinting coach qualification
-Two time gold medallist at Paralympic Games in 2008 and World Record holder in 100m and 200m T37 class
-Gold medallist at Paralympic Games in 2012 in the 100m T37 class
Both brothers not only felt the need for development in the sport discipline they are in but also in the lives of those who are in contact with these industries. Inspired2Become are therefore a specialised non-profit organization focusing on 2 groups of young people:
1) Alternative action sports i.e. rollerblading, skateboarding and skimboarding.
2) Athletics for people with disabilities.
These are two niche groups and I2B felt that so many organisations overlook these groups of young people and thus the reason to be specialised. Fanie, being a professional track athlete, has the desire to develop youth through the use of athletics for people with disabilities. Chris, being a professional rollerblader, has the desire to develop young people through the use of alternative action sports. Chris and Fanie believes strongly to run this organisation as a Christian faith based NPO.